"First known as Eldorado, it became New Denver after Denver, Colorado, when it was anticipated that it would eventually become a greater mining town than its namesake. Although never as large as Kaslo or even Slocan City, it was advantageously placed - on the eastern side of Slocan Lake on a flat and pleasant delta at the mouth of Carpenter Creek which was the natural route into the silver country.
By 1893, it claimed 250 permanent residents and a shifting population which sometimes ran to twice that number. Close, by, silver-lead properties like the Mountain Chief, Alpha, California, Idaho-Cumberland and Alamo contributed to the general prosperity of the town. Before the decade was out, a number of hotels like the Newmarket, St. James, Denver, Central and Windsor greeted incoming mining men and a school, the bank of Montreal, livery stables, general stores, a newspaper and dozens of other business enterprises lent the town an air of respectability.
With the boats landing daily at the waterfront, the C.P.R. building their line and then running into Sandon and Three Forks, and the silver excitement with its continous fluctuations; it was a spirited town for almost two decades.
Today the mining activity has lessened and New Denver isn't the busy center it once was but it has retained much of its old atmosphere; the Newmarket is still there down by the waterfront ( not since the 1970's - editor ), the bank of Montreal's original building stands yet as do a dozen other time worn structures of those bygone days when New Denver was considered the new Eldorado."
from Gold Creeks and Ghost Towns by N.L. Barlee page 112-113